skribilo-users

Re: [skribilo-users] skribilo and guile version?

From: George McNinch
Subject: Re: [skribilo-users] skribilo and guile version?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 13:07:06 -0500

Hi again,

I wanted to follow up on my question here:

>> What would it take to make skribilo use guile-2.2 instead of
>> guile-2.0?

The other day I wrote that I was having "build system troubles" with my
attempts to use guile-2.2 to build skribilo.  I cleared up the issues I
mentioned, perhaps in part by getting the version of skribilo from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/skribilo.git/

(I think that I had made some silly mistakes that I resolved).

Moreover, during compilation, the git-version of skribilo I just
mentioned seems to *not* experience this error that I mentioned in my
earlier post:

> guix package -i skribilo

> and if I call the form

> (use-modules (skribilo package base))

> in a guile-2.2 repl (I did it just now in geiser...), I get errors as
> follows:

> scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (skribilo package base)) ;;; note:
> auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 ;;; or pass the
> --no-auto-compile argument to disable.  ;;; compiling
> /home/george/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0/skribilo/package/base.scm
> ;;; WARNING: compilation of
> /home/george/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0/skribilo/package/base.scm
> failed:

> ;;; Syntax error: ;;;
> /home/george/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0/skribilo/package/base.scm:74:0:
> syntax-parameterize: invalid syntax parameter in subform
> &invocation-location of [...]

So I was able to *build and install* skribilo using guile-2.2.

On the other hand, when trying to *use* it, I encounter errors.  One
source of difficulty seems to be related to "mutability".

e.g. guile-2.0 is apparently happy to evaluate forms like the following:

(let
  ((a '(1 2)))
 (set-car! a 3)
 a)

==> (3 2)

Upon evaluating that form in guile-2.2, however, it complains

>> In procedure set-car!: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting
>> mutable pair): (1 2)

Variations of this latter error ("expecting mutable pair") seem to
appear a lot when I try to use skribilo with guile-2.2. I chased such
errors for a while yesterday afternoon - e.g. this sort of error occurs
in some methods in engines.scm handling the customs of an engine, and I
was able to give a fix to that issue that seemed to behave correctly.
(e.g. with the skribilo from git, calling

(use-modules (skribilo engines))

(engine-custom-set! (find-engine 'html) 'emit-sui #t)

produced an "expecting mutable pair", and I managed to find a fix to
*that* problem.

But then I encountered what seemed to be the same sort of error in at
least a few other contexts in the skribilo code -- e.g. from some calls
to the method do-resolve! found in resolve.scm.

At that point, I got a bit discouraged.

I'd be happy to read any comments/suggestions about this matter (maybe
my observations are off-base?), assuming anyone is actually reading
this... ;^)

Best,
gm

--