skribilo-users

Re: [skribilo-users] Footnotes omitted on single-page HTML documents

From: Klaus Schilling
Subject: Re: [skribilo-users] Footnotes omitted on single-page HTML documents
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 06:17:40 +0100 (CET)

From: Klaus Schilling <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:28:27 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I just stumbled into more bugs.

First, the footnotes appeared twice, even in documents as simple as

(document (footnote "foobar"))

I was able to fix that in the case of simple documents by means of
replacing

(cons n containers)

with

containers

.

I do not really know what find-down is supposed to do, but it appears
to find the node n itself, in the above simple case the document node,
as well, as soon as n fulfills the predicate. Thus I am not sure my
way of fixing it has not opened yet another can of worms.

Next, both the markup writers for footnote and for html-footnotes
nest the <a> attributes. This is not legal html, and it wreaks havoc
e.g. when postprocessing the html produced by skribilo with xsltproc.

Further, &html-footnotes concludes with a

(display "<div>")

It should really be a

(display "</div>")

otherwise there are too many open <div> tags that get never closed.

Next,

(match subsections
     ((subsections ...)
      (fold loop footnotes subsections))
     (()
      footnotes)
[...]

Here, the case of an empty list is pretty much obsolete.
If subsections is empty, it matches the pattern

(subsections ...)

already. This means that the pattern

()

is never matched and thus pointless. As folding over an empty list
just returns the seed, it does not really matter, the result would be
the same. Thus the extra rule for the empty list does not break
anything, it just does not effect anything, either.

The following is not a bug, just a suggestion.

The code for &html-footnotes separates the footnotes from each other
just by a <br>. I changed it in my copy to wrapping each of the notes
into a <div class ="footnote">[...]</div>. This, while looking not
much different with most browsers, allows for easier use of additional
CSS or postprocessing with html parsers.

greetings,
Klaus Schilling