simulavr-devel

Transform simulavr project to cmake instead of automake

From: Thomas K
Subject: Transform simulavr project to cmake instead of automake
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 16:37:55 +0100

Hi Guys,

i've now pushed a branch to simulavr git repository to have the build made with cmake instead of automake tools. The branch is named dev-cmake. It's in the moment incomplete because the examples are not transformed and are in the moment in the old directory. All other should work, means:

- build simulavr and lib

- build tcl, python and verilog module

- create documentation

- create debian packages

The code is based on the current master HEAD!

To make it easier to handle I have added a short makefile in root directory to control the build process. Call 'make' without target will show a short help for the available targets. To build just simulavr and lib, you have to type: 'make no-debug' followed by 'make build'. The configuration targets will switch on or off the additional build components.

On word about supported platforms: it's (in the moment, even if cmake supports other platforms) only for linux, no support for Windows or Mac (I have no Mac!). Why? simulavr can run in a docker image and docker is available for all platforms. (as far as I know!) If we later support a docker image it's possible to use simulavr on all platforms but have not the problem to make fixes, because something will not work just on one platform.

Please check it, if this will work for you and let me know, if this is working or not to shift this to master branch later and make all further work on this base.

cu, Thomas