sed-devel

sed logotype/workmark "ſᶼ"

From: Brian Inglis
Subject: sed logotype/workmark "ſᶼ"
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:40:56 -0700

Hi folks,

I was reading articles about medieval Latin manuscript ligatures and abbreviations in typography, and came across an abbreviation for the Latin "sed" Eng. "but", and thought that would make a good logo, logotype, or wordmark "ſᶼ" for sed, as I have never seen a graphic used for the package.

Mention:

        https://www.typeseeds.com/articles/ligs.html

explanation:

        https://textcreationpartnership.org/docs/dox/latabbrs.html

The abbreviation uses the Latin small long S "ſ" followed by the hooked Z "ᶼ" indicating an "ed" or "et" suffix.

The Unicode characters required are:

ſ  U+017F   LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG S
ᶼ  U+1DBC   MODIFIER LETTER SMALL Z WITH RETROFLEX HOOK

as the other hooked Zs looked too large and spaced out with the thin S:

ſȥ      ȥ  U+0225   LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH HOOK
ſʐ      ʐ  U+0290   LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH RETROFLEX HOOK
ſᶎ      ᶎ  U+1D8E   LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH PALATAL HOOK

and the modifier is kerned tightly in common proportional width fonts I tried, giving a nicer, more "graphical" rendering closer to scribal calligraphy, allowing it to be used anywhere Unicode is supported, or as a display graphic.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis                 Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                      Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter     not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer        but when there is no more to cut
                        -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry