sed-devel

Re: Incorrect SELinux information in sed(1) man page

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Incorrect SELinux information in sed(1) man page
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 15:37:11 -0700

Hello all,

Thanks for the report,

On 2021-01-01 3:27 p.m., Kian Kasad wrote:
On 21/01/01 10:00AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 3:00 AM Kian Kasad <kian@kasad.com> wrote:
I noticed a slight quirk when building sed:
In the source tarball for sed, the doc/sed.1 file says that the program
is built with SELinux support. However, this isn't necessarily true.

sed.1 is a generated file. It is generated from sed's own --help
output, and that --help output tells whether the binary was built with
SELinux.
What matters is that the installed sed.1 file is consistent with the
installed sed binary.

I took a look, and indeed the "sed.1" which is packaged with the tarball is not re-generated *if* building from a clean tarball (as opposed to building from git).

This is due to incorrect logic meant to fall-back to the pre-packaged "sed.1" if the target system doesn't have perl.
Likely from here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/sed.git/commit/?id=a0a25e3ee35f5071d5f5c2c068cd5d96f1deb3c4

I'll work on a fix soon (and will also update copyright year).

regards (and happy new year),
 - assaf