sed-devel

Re: new snapshot available: sed-4.7.13-3c1e

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: new snapshot available: sed-4.7.13-3c1e
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 19:08:35 +0100

Jim Meyering writes:

> It's been a year since the preceding release, so this feels overdue.
> Please give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.
>
> sed snapshot:
>   https://meyering.net/sed/sed-ss.tar.xz      1.3 MB
>   https://meyering.net/sed/sed-ss.tar.xz.sig
>   https://meyering.net/sed/sed-4.7.13-3c1e.tar.xz

Builds fine on GNU Guix master.  Log attached.

Would you be willing to also provide a GZIP compressed version of future
sed releases too?

Since since sed-4.3, only XZ tarballs were provided.  This is not a
problem but still unfortunate; it makes sed-4.2 (2009) currently the
latest version that we can use in our ongoing efforts to create a full
source bootstrap of the GNU (Guix) System.

For some background see this blog post
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-reduces-bootstrap-seed-by-50/, the
next reduction will remove programs like sed from the bootstrap seed.
XZ can only be built after we have a fairly recent GCC and glibc.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com