sed-devel

RE: [compile error] execute.c b/c local variable 'stdin' in 'debug_print

From: Jannick
Subject: RE: [compile error] execute.c b/c local variable 'stdin' in 'debug_print_input '
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 17:40:48 +0100

Hi Assaf,

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 10:15:04 -0600, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> I assume it's an issue specific to the definition of 'stdin' in
> windows/msys2, as there is no compilation issue with gcc-8.2 on linux.

Just digging into that a bit and I think it is rather the other way round:
stdin - together with stdout and stderr - is of type FILE* according to POSIX
(http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/stdin.html), while
in the special case of linux a FILE object is a buffering object around a file
descriptor (http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/stdin.3.html).
So linux happened to not complain about the type collision I ran into.

Many thanks for the patch!

Best,
J.