sed-devel

Re: Suggestion: tests: refactor tests to new init.sh-style shell scripts

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Suggestion: tests: refactor tests to new init.sh-style shell scripts
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 12:41:02 -0400

Hello Jim,

> On Apr 2, 2017, at 02:44, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I've been (slowly) converting those old-style tests to the perl-based
> form we use for some in coreutils. I much prefer to keep the sed
> invocation, script, inputs and outputs near one another in the same
> file, at least when they are not too large. What do you think?

Good idea.

The old-style tests are large (i.e. many of the "*.inp", "*.good", "*.sed"
have many lines).

The coreutils' perl-style test favor smaller input if I'm not mistaken.
Do you want to rewrite each old-style test into a separate perl test file
(with all data embedded in the test) ?

Alternatively I already have a version where there's one shell-based script
for each test (and it includes the input +program + expected output) -
for the old-style test it might be simply than conversion to perl.

I'll post it to the list for reference.

-assaf