sed-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] GNU grep,awk,sed: support \u and \U for unicode

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] GNU grep,awk,sed: support \u and \U for unicode
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 22:19:09 -0800

Assaf Gordon wrote:
I'm more interested to discuss whether such long-term behavior is something
that you'd consider for each respective projects (perhaps even mentally
reserve '\u' and '\U' sequences for it, or accept patches in that direction).

It should work for grep. Though, to be honest I don't find \u and \U escapes to be all that useful except for East Asian languages. A better syntax is the Emacs \N escape, e.g., \N{EN DASH} which you can also write as \N{U+2013} if you know the codes by heart. Admittedly \N requires more runtime support.