sed-devel

Re: untranslatable error string in compile.c

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: untranslatable error string in compile.c
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 22:52:53 -0400

Hello,

> On Jun 4, 2016, at 00:54, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Commit 854b64 [1] (which I suggested about a year ago) had an unintended
>> effect:
>>
>> It makes the last error message untranslatable, because nowhere is it passed
>> to gettext's N_() macro.
> Glad you caught that before release.
> Your fix looks fine.

Attached updated (capitalized) patch, but sadly it's not yet OK:

Now I recall the reason I suggested to comment these out in the commit last
year was to avoid gcc's -Wunused-macro (which is only triggered when building
under gcc form git, which I missed now since I was building with clang).

If we uncomment the macro then under gcc with --enable-gcc-warnings the error
returns:
==
compile.c:188:0: error: macro "END_ERRORS" is not used [-Werror=unused-macros]
 #define END_ERRORS (COLON_LACKS_LABEL \
 ^
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
==

It seems "-Wunused-macro" should've been disabled in configure.ac:309,
but somehow it is still used (at least on my system).
Will investigate further soon.

regards,
 - assaf