Recent problems with 'screen'

From: Eyal Lebedinsky
Subject: Recent problems with 'screen'
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:47:11 +1100

I run fedora 24.

A day ago I did a 'dnf update' and received a new screen
        Package screen.x86_64 4.5.0-1.fc24 will be an upgrade
Nothing worth noticing - or so I thought.

The command arguments changed.

I have scripts that use '-L' to enable logging.
        ... -L -fn ...
The new program takes the following argument as a logfile name.
This is new, there used to be no such file name. This leads to an error
        -L logfile name can not start with -
Now I have to modify all of my scripts?

I removed the '-L' (it was already included in a screenrc file).
$ screen -c "/etc/screenrc-1" ...
        logfile "/data/logs/screen.log"
        log on
No log created.

I then added the '-L' to the end of the command line and it accepted it.
        $ screen ... -L
No log created.

I then added the log file name too as in '-L "/data/logs/screen.log"'.
A log was created, but it overwrote the (old log) rather than append to it.

I should say that it all used to work just fine for a long while.

Am I missing something or did things really change that much?

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (address@hidden)