can't focus on right half of a vertical region split?

From: scot gabriel
Subject: can't focus on right half of a vertical region split?
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 15:02:09 -0600

I'm trying to split my screen using .screenrc to look like this (attached pic) or go here: http://picpaste.com/Screenshot_from_2014-11-03_14_57_10.png

I have set my .screenrc as follows to accomplish the layout:
###begin .screenrc###
split
split -v
focus top
split
###end .screenrc###

I can't get the focus to the top right so that I can show a window in that region.  I have tried this and it as close as I've been able to get.. focus doesn't appear to ever cycle thru any vertically-split-right-regions??:
###begin .screenrc###
split
split -v
focus top
split
screen -t window0
focus down
screen -t window1
focus down
screen -t window2
focus down
screen -t window3
###end .screenrc###

but that only results in the above attachment (note the window numbers and how window2 isn't shown, likely because it spawend in bottom region and then I replaced it with window3 since the focus couldn't drop any further since it skipped over the right vertical split and was already at the end).

Thoughts?

--
Scot Gabriel
IRC (devildog31415 on irc.freenode.net)