Re: screen: how to start all my task automatically in a script?

From: Gerald Young
Subject: Re: screen: how to start all my task automatically in a script?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:54:43 -0500

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 03:26:41 PM ping wrote:
> > I have a section in a files sourced by .screenrc:
> >
> > screen 0 irssi
> > screen 1 alpine
> > screen 2
> > at 2 stuff "dscreen -r meta -s bots\012"
> > screen 3
> > at 3 stuff "ssh -e none address@hidden"
> >
> > Should be easy enough ;)
>
> thanks. that works of course.
>
> but think of I sometime need more than 1 screen instance.
> the 1st one I always want it to have the 3 known windows, but when I start
> the 2nd screen instance I'll have to have the same windows there? is there
> a way to override the screenrc then?

What I do is launch an empty screen session. Then use the source comand:
<Ctrl+A> :source /path/session

Where the file /path/session is a simple screen script that creates the windows
I want to have.

This is made a lot easier with a binding like this:
bind ^L eval 'register z ":source /path/"' 'command' 'process z'

The I can do the same as above with the key sequence:
<Ctrl+A> <Ctr+L> session <Enter>

Regards,
Gerald