Re: Capturing title of active window

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Capturing title of active window
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:03:19 -0400

* address@hidden had this to say on [27 Mar 2010, 02:09:17 +0200]:
> Hi folk,
> I am trying to figure out the way I can capture a title of the active
> window (i.e. currently focused window) so it'll be available for use
> in external program. For instance, say I running script which sends
> email if my currently active window is named "foo", however it should
> does nothing if I switch to another window named "bar" or switch to
> another console at all. I was looking for kind of screen's appropriate
> builting variable and seems reached a deadlock. So now I need your
> help.

Hi. If you are using the development version, then you can use the
following:

        TITLE=`screen -S <session-name> -Q title`

This uses the recently added 'remote-query' feature to request the title
of a window.

You can get the development version at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=screen.git

Cheers,