Re: same output display repeatedly

From: Ed Blackman
Subject: Re: same output display repeatedly
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:32:55 -0400

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:34:23PM -0400, Software Groups wrote:
I was using screen on solaris for few year with any issue. Recently I
have moved to Redhat Linux 4 its running under vmware.  Whenever
command displays more lines of output (like cat, dmesg etc), same
output scrolling repeatedly on that window, I have to kill that window
and re-open the connection to remote host.

Are you sure this only happens in screen? I experienced a problem with the same symptoms years ago when I had a primitive VPN that was setting the MTU to be higher than the link could actually support. If this only occurs in screen, then ignore the following.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit and note the sentence "One often detects such blocking in the cases where a connection works for low-volume data but hangs as soon as a host sends a large block of data at a time".

You can test this with a short Perl command line. Run this on the remote system while connected to the remote host directly (not in screen):
  perl -e '$| = 1; $i = 0; while($i++ < 10000) { print "\n$i\n"; print("A" x
$i); sleep 1; }'

If it gets all the way to 10000 (note, it will take almost three hours to do so), your network is configured correctly. If it hangs, it will have printed the number that is one more than the actual largest packet size on that link. You can then describe your symptoms, network configuration, and the perl test on a Redhat list and should be able to get help with configuring your network so the above test will pass.

Ed