Re: can 256color be recognized automatically?

From: Tom Scogland
Subject: Re: can 256color be recognized automatically?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:45:44 -0400

Hence the above posting of the variable source. =)

source ${HOME}/.screenrc-${TERM}

Works perfectly, great for makefiles too where you want to split things up based on an environment variable.

Also, "read backlog" might be a good addition to the "awake (or sober)" list. =P

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:08:54AM EDT, Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Chris Jones on Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 05:21:46 -0400
> > On second thoughts .. the above doesn't make sense..
> >
> > :-(
>
> ;-)

Yeah .. wait till you're fully awake (or sober) till you post.

> If I don't hear any more I might go for something like:
>

> if echo $TERM | grep -E -e "-[0-9]+color$" > /dev/null 2>&1
> then
>     screen -T "screen-${TERM##*-}"
> else
>     screen
> fi

screen -T is a new one on me.. I didn't find it in the man page that's
installed in my system (under "COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS") and had to grep
for it .. among other things, it can come in handy when you're testing
changes to a terminfo entry.

> I'd like to avoid a wrapper workaround.

Last resort, IMHO.. But after a couple of hours reading the manual, I
can't seem to find any simple way you could ask screen to execute
commands conditionally.

Maybe have the children bash shells conditionally reset the TERM
variable via some function or other invoked by your .bashrc?

CJ