Re: screen, PuTTY, and kernel config

From: Chris Lieb
Subject: Re: screen, PuTTY, and kernel config
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:20:59 -0500

Micah Cowan wrote:
> Chris Lieb wrote:
>> Micah Iowan wrote:
>>> GNU ncurses has a specific entry for putty, so you might want to "tic"
>>> the latest terminfo definitions from ncurses (it's in a file named
>>> misc/terminfo.src, IIRC). And then, of course, have PuTTY set TERM to
>>> "putty". (You'd need to compile these terminfo descriptions on each
>>> system you use screen on.)
>> What do you mean by "tic" the latest terminfo?  I was unable to find a
>> file called terminfo.src on my system using slocate.
>
> What I meant is, download the latest ncurses package from GNU, and run
> "tic" on that file, which you should find within the extracted directory.

Tried just 'tic'ing the terminfo.src from ncurses 5.7 (I'm running 5.6
currently), but it spit out a bunch of warnings about unknown
capabilities.  I also tried upgrading to ncurses 5.7 and cleaning the
kernel (build against new ncurses), but that did not fix it either.

>>> Otherwise, typing your cursor keys while running
>>> cat-under-screen-under-putty, and comparing with what terminfo/termcap
>>> say about what the cursor keys should be, is often illuminating.
>> I get the same output from cat whether I am in PuTTY-screen or
>> PuTTY-screen-ssh-screen, even though the latter does not work in curses
>> applications.
>
> What specific values do you get?

up    -> ^[[A
down  -> ^[[B
left  -> ^[[D
right -> ^[[C

> You might need to compare what screen says they should be, too ("infocmp
> screen" in your shell: look for the values of kcub1, kcud1, etc). Check
> also to see if their values differ between your host system and the
> remote system.

screen-in-PuTTY:
kcub1=\EOD
kcud1=\EOB
kcuf1=\EOC
kcuu1=\EOA

screen-over-ssh-in-screen-in-PuTTY:
kcub1=\EOD
kcud1=\EOB
kcuf1=\EOC
kcuu1=\EOA

> Also, what is the value of $TERM in
> (a) just putty,
xterm
> (b) screen-in-putty
screen
> (c) screen-over-ssh-in-screen-in-putty.
screen

> (Actually, I should probably have had you test with "tput smkx; cat;
> tput rmkx", rather than cat by itself; please try that and see if you
> get anything different)

screen-in-PuTTY:
up    -> ^[OA
down  -> ^[OB
left  -> ^[OD
right -> ^[OC

screen-over-ssh-in-screen-in-PuTTY:
up    -> ^[[A
down  -> ^[[B
left  -> ^[[D
right -> ^[[C

> In particular, you should compare what you get for the tput/cat combo
> when you type the cursor-down key directly, with what you get when you do
>   C-a : stuff $:kd:
> (with the tput/cat combo running).

screen-in-PuTTY:
direct: ^[OB