Re: Bigger annoyance with locking.

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Bigger annoyance with locking.
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:59:37 +1100

"Dan Mahoney, System Admin"
<address@hidden> writes:

> The question comes up: "if I can get at your uid, why do I need your
> screen?"

In order to observe the output when I run "gpg -d" on an encrypted,
confidential file.  Simply having my login password would not grant
access to GPG encrypted files.

In order to observe the output of commands run on a remote host via
ssh.  Simply having my login password would not grant access to the
remote host.

If I leave ssh running inside the screen session, to actively modify the
remote host (e.g. installing your own public identity in the remote
authorized_keys file).

Similarly for other systems that require secondary passwords, such as a
remote IMAP server or a remote web application.

> Sadly, even though I am root on the systems involved -- the tweak we
> really need here is extending screen's builtin lock to support the
> password stored in .screenrc

Clearly I don't know what you're talking about, because what I *thought*
you were talking about works as you ask for.

Namely, I run :password interactively to generate a hashed password in
the default register.  I use C-a ] to paste it into .screenrc, as in

    password ASDFASDFASDF

Later, in either the current or a new screen session, I run
:lockscreen.  It blanks the screen, changing it to

    Screen used by Trent W. Buck <twb>
    Password:
    Screen password:

The first prompt is for my login password.  The second prompt is for my
screen password.

>  -- otherwise it's a whole new pam
> facility -- and PS, incidentally, pam doesn't have an easy way to say
> "use the password in this file."

    echo password ASDFASDFASDF >~/.screenrc.secret
    echo source ~/.screerc.secret >>~/.screenrc