Screen has odd blank out behaviour

From: Ed Wagner
Subject: Screen has odd blank out behaviour
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:43:48 -0400

Hello,

I use Apple OS 10.5.5 Terminal.app ,xterm and Ubuntu Xterm in Gnome. I'm all for CLI and spend most of my time there either on local or remote machines which lead me to use gnu screen to save state and other handy features.

this issue I have is easy to resolve when not using screen and I feel I have isolated the issue to GNU screen and will aproch there user list next. but I have been searching and reading up on the man pages for a while now and feel its time to ask if others have a solution.

This the  the famous screen clear on exit.

this is fix on all my systems that needed the fix. ssh or direct login on all systems works they way I wish.

Enter screen.

No there are a few different methods I have tried:

> infocmp >.terminfo/screen.xterm-color.terminfo
> cd .terminfo
> emacs screen.xterm-color.terminfo
#
# changed line 2
|# Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /Users/ewagner/.terminfo/ 78/xterm-color
|xterm-color|nxterm|screen-xterm|screen-xterm-color|generic color xterm,
> tic screen.xterm-color.terminfo
> sceen

this does not work, I've also made sure that LESS is unset and that TERM is not set in my profiles thus everything works outside of screen.

Now the odd part:

Is seems screen is doing something odd. for if I export LESS=-X the screen does a full clear and the prompt is at the top.

if I use clear or ctrl-l the screen clears and places the prompt at the top. but if I emacs or less..... the prompt remains at the same level on the screen but all the characters are missing... or that is to say there apear to be 'blank lines' where the content was before and the prompt is left one line down from before I invoced emacs or less..

This lead me to think it was the autonuke on|off setting becuase that seems to mention something about how the screen is cleared indicating that the contents will be re-written using the background collor. I can't highlight or copy-past content to verify if this is the case.

So this is where I am and it is worse then my past two configurations without screen where either the screen would clear on exit or do nothing leving the emacs/less output visible and providing a prompt.

any help would be apreiciated..

Thanks!

Ed

-- PS --
aditional boring version information:

Terminal.app verison:2.0.1 (240)
apple xterm: X.Org 6.8.99.903(235)
ubuntu xterm -version reports: XTerm(229)

ubuntu screen version: Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06
apple screen version: Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06

redhat ES 4 screen version: Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03
(Red hat mahcines are remote...so no gui terminal emulation thought I could if need be...