Re: query current window title to stdout?

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: query current window title to stdout?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:01:23 -0500

On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Michael Parson wrote:

I've got a user that wants to be able to, with a single command, rename the title for the current window when he edits a file to the name of the file he is editing.

<snip>

Can this be done? or is the solution I've come up with going to be about as good as it gets?

working with a friend, we came up with this:

_svim () {
        /usr/bin/screen -X msgwait 5
        echo -ne "\ekediting $1\e\\"
        /usr/bin/vim $1
        exit
}

svim () {
        tname=`basename $(mktemp -u)`
        /usr/bin/screen -t $tname
        /usr/bin/screen -X msgwait 0
        /usr/bin/screen -X at "$tname" stuff "_svim $1^M"
}

Which lets me do fun things like:

for ij in foo1.pl foo2.pl foo3.pl do; svim $ij; done

And have 3 new windows pop open with the new files in them, window titles set appropriately, should be race-condition safe.

This is all on a Linux box, using bash, and has the gnu mktemp installed. Other systems will have to be modified as needed.

--
Michael Parson
address@hidden