Re: Windows groups with window splits

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Windows groups with window splits
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:58:12 -0400

* David Chanters had this to say on [12 Aug 2008, 09:25:22 +0100]:
> Hi -
>
> i don't know if this has been asked before, but i am using the GIT
> version of screen and am wondering if i can do the following:
>
> Assume i have two windows under screen, window1 and window2.  In
> window1 i issue the :split command and quite rightly then get a split
> window.  However, if i then switch to window2, whichever split region
> i was in switches to window2.  what i would rather is the split
> windows are contained just to window1 - window2 should have no split
> windows at all when i switch to it.

Sounds like you want layouts, a new feature in 4.1.0.

> i've read that one can have window groups but theres very little
> documentation - is this something which would allow me to achieve
> this?

Layouts aren't documented [all that well]
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?23597). But for a quick intro: the
possible layout commands are:

        layout new
        layout save <name>
        layout next
        layout prev
        layout show
        layout title [title]
        layout select
        layout autosave on|off
        layout number [number]

The commands do what you would expect them to do. :)

Someone should totally write up the documentation!

Sadrul