syntax color messed up in vim

From: Chongfeng Hu
Subject: syntax color messed up in vim
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 05:10:11 +0800 (CST)

Hi all,

I have been having a problem using vim inside screen. The symptom is that
when I edit a syntax-highlighted text, the color scheme doesn't work
right. I've got high-light color, but too much. All the words in the text
has got high-lighted, as opposed to only those key words, and the
subsequent words got the same high-light color as their preceding key
word.

The worst case happens when I use vim's search in screen. The expected
behavior is that vim will high light the word I search using color A, but
instead the whole area where word A is in is filled with A, looking like
a color block. Then if I scroll the screen down one page, I will find the
whole screen tainted with color A, no texts legible.

I'm using SSH Secure Shell connecting to a server, and the term answer
back in SSH Secure Shell is set to "ansi", my .bashrc has the following:

if [ $TERM = "screen" ]; then
    unset TERMCAP
    export TERM=ansi
fi