shell environment setup questions

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: shell environment setup questions
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:36:44 -0500

I am very close to releasing 0.1 of Boleyn, a wrapper for dtach. Boleyn will look for unattached dtach session sessions previously created then reattach to them and if there are none, create new ones.

I must admit to my slight embarrassment, that I'm not really fluent in shell environments and that I'm not exactly sure under which conditions I should invoke Boleyn. I created it because I was losing too many remote shell sessions every time my laptop suspended.

Obviously, it would want to be invoked if it's a interactive session coming from secure Shell but are there any others where it would make sense? I would appreciate both contexts and shell script fragments for testing those contexts that I could put together into a bash code fragment one could cut and paste into your bash_profile.

Oh yes, and we might even be able to make Boleyn applicable to screen if things work right.

---eric

PS if you don't get the joke behind the name, Google for "she walks the bloody Tower"