Re: workaround to not overwrite .bash_history

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: workaround to not overwrite .bash_history
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:22:48 -0500

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 01:34:06PM +0000, Henrique Niwa wrote:
> hi,
> I would like to unify my .bash_history around the
> windows that screen creates. What i want is just bash
> adding lines to the bash history, without creating
> separate histories, because that is what it seems to
> do, every window has its own history.
> Anybody has any trick to do this?

Do you want a shared history across all bash instances in screen? or
just for each time you exit a shell it not over-write your existing
.bash_history?  AFAICT, there is no way to have a true shared history,
that info is stored in memory until the shell exits.  You can set bash
to append to, rather than overwrite, the existing history file though,
at least in bash 3.1.1, which is what I'm running.

Take a look at 'set -o histappend' and see if that does what you're
looking for.

--
Michael Parson
address@hidden