Re: Several problems while trying to make screen automatically start ano

From: Rod Nussbaumer
Subject: Re: Several problems while trying to make screen automatically start another program.
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:02:27 -0700

Kresimir Cosic wrote:
Thanks for answers. I still didn't solve the problem, but it gave me an idea.

Adam Lazur wrote:
 > This isn't a screen problem, it's a dynamic linking problem.
 >
 > I bet the executable can't find the shared library when it starts up.
 > Does your shell have an LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable set? What
 > happens if you run: screen /bin/sh -c fooint.exe

Seems like a plausible explanation, but I don't quite understand how linux finds shared libraries, and, most important, why it can't find shared libraries only when using 'screen ./fooint2.exe'. It seems that I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in my .bashrc:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/kreso/prog/mysql/lib/mysql/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Correct me if I'm wrong, but loading bash in that way makes it non-interactive, and therefore .bashrc is not read. Moreover, it would seem to me that calling screen from a non-interactive shell would not make sense, since it's whole role in life is to
'interact'.

Anyone who knows the related details, please expand upon or correct me, here.

   ---   rod.