Re: screen -X colon - how to enter?

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: screen -X colon - how to enter?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:33:19 -0500

* Robert Blackwell <address@hidden> [2006-01-25 17:52 -0500]:
> If I do the following from the command line:
>
>  screen -X colon 'activity "Activity - - in window %n"'
>
> Screen does not do the action until I press enter within the screen
> window.  Is there a way for me to call this without having to do that?

The colon command expect to have a newline at the end of the supplied
command.  You can add that by embedding one in the command:

  screen -X colon 'activity "Activity - - in window %n"
'

However, colon is intended for interactive commands, while 'screen -X' is
for noninteractive commands.  You can cut out the middleman with:

  screen -X activity "Activity - - in window %n"

--- --
Anyone who has never hacked sendmail.cf has no soul.  Anyone who has
hacked it twice has no brain.
                       -- Peter da Silva