Re: How can I execute a command in a detached screen?

From: Will Maier
Subject: Re: How can I execute a command in a detached screen?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:32:28 -0500

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:03:40PM -0700, Jim C. wrote:
[snip]
> address@hidden bin]$ screen -S 22539..mirage -X exec "/bin/ls -l"
> address@hidden bin]$

> ...but when I re-attach the screen there is no evidence to show
> that the command executed.  I've been pouring over the man pages
> and I cannot discern the proper syntax for this.

Try:

    $ screen -S 22539..mirage -X exec /bin/ls -l

Notice that 'exec' wants the command it's to run and the command's
arguments to be separated by spaces, not combined into one string.

If that doesn't solve the problem, check that you don't have a
password set in your .screenrc; -X can't handle password-protected
sessions.

--

[Will address@hidden/address@hidden