screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] GNU screen on Debian 9.0 runs with root account only

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] GNU screen on Debian 9.0 runs with root account only
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:10:43 +0200

Hi Amadeusz,

Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> > > your username seems to be "none", and from what I recall is is treated
> > > specially by acl in screen,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for that hint. That's it. I created a user "none" and
> > screen indeed doesn't work for that user -- and only for that user.
> >
> > > can you try adding another account or
> > > changing username and check if it works under it?
> >
> > As expected it (of course) works well for all other users.
>
> I guess we can, maybe try to replace it with "-none", as it shouldn't be
> used as username anyway, because it starts with hyphen. (per POSIX)
>
> It seems to be used as option in "aclgrp" and "password" commands and I
> guess it may make more sense to start such command switch with hyphen.
>
> Do you have time to make a patch?

"git grep -E '\bnone\b'" shows far too many hits in areas where I'm
not sure if they're relevant for this case.

I'm also not sure of the implications wrt. to backwards compatibility.

Or has that indeed been introduced only recently? At least according
to Oscar the issue appeared between 4.2.1 and 4.5.0. But that "none"
is used as special value doesn't sound new to me. So maybe there was a
change in the past few years which caused screen to check this earlier
or in more occassions?

                Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <address@hidden>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin