screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #46273] screen 4.3.1 broken nmon's display and alsam

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #46273] screen 4.3.1 broken nmon's display and alsamixer
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 20:40:35 +0000

Follow-up Comment #16, bug #46273 (project screen):

I think Amadeusz nailed it.

Joe, thanks for the updated files, they seem to be much better.

$ reseq --replay screen.tsq

seems to demonstrate that screen is issuing sequences that aren't interpreted
properly by my xterm-compatible term (iTerm2 on the Mac at the moment).

I was able to reproduce inside screen with

$ reseq --replay nmon.tsq

after typing C-a : cjkwidth on <RET>

If I then typed C-a : cjkwidth off <RET>

and ran the reseq command again, it displays much better.

(note to others reproducing: the screen size needs to be 141x43 (or
thereabouts?) in order to contain the window being drawn by nmon in "reseq
--replay nmon.tsq").

(for Amadeusz:) I don't understand the reasoning behind the conditional
setting of cjkwidth. I see in the commit mentioned in
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42198 that cjkwidth is set to "on"
automatically if the locale matches a prefix of wide-character languages like
"zh_", "ko_" or "ja_", but I don't quite comprehend why that is. The locale
itself doesn't normally really dictate whether the outer terminal is going to
interpret ambiguous chars as half- or full-width I think - isn't that more of
a terminal property? (too bad you can't find it from terminfo/termcap...)

I see that the list of "ambiguous characters" includes a number from latin1,
such as the spanish inverted exclamation and question marks. I suspect that
few terms actually render these as fullwidth, though I'm assuming you or
someone else came across at least one such case in order to add the "cjkwidth"
feature (if not for latin1 punctuation, then for other characters in that
list).

I'm thinking it might have been better to leave it as unconditional "off" by
default unless explicitly asked-for, since making its default value
conditional on locale has obviously led to confusion here and in
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42198... just my 2¢.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46273>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/