screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #11610] XON (Ctrl-S) halts screen 4.0.2

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #11610] XON (Ctrl-S) halts screen 4.0.2
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:25:56 +0000

Follow-up Comment #16, bug #11610 (project screen):

I have given constructive input in comment#7, two years ago. But I can
elaborate on this once more, if needed.

IMHO, the correct solution for this is to enable the IXANY setting of the tty
driver.

This would add the needed user friendlyness, by allowing any key to be
pressed instead of just ignoring anything but CTRL-Q, which appears to me a
very insane default of the tty-drivers.

I do not believe that this issue is directly caused by screen doing something
wrong. It happens just the same in xterm: You press CTRL-S once, then you have
to press CTRL-Q or --not knowing this-- kill the xterm.
Screen makes you type a lot of CTRL-xxx combinations that are dangerously
near to CTRL-S on the keyboard.
That and the fact that screen can cascade mutiple layers of road-blocks ontop
of each other makes it an severe usability issue.

If my guesswork in comment#10 turns out to be correct, then this is not
becoming a non-issue at all, but much worse. We may have to track down a
deadlock.

Anybody out there, who dares diving into the code for this? I'll assist the
best I can.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?11610>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/