screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] need help w/ keyboard termcap names

From: mrbrown8
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] need help w/ keyboard termcap names
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:51:23 -0600

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:55:51 -0400 Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
<address@hidden> writes:
> * address@hidden had this to say on [21 Apr 2010, 19:16:21 -0600]:
> >

> > I'm working on documentation for 'bind -k' and I've created some
> examples
> > to help show its usage. But the examples I created aren't working
> as I
> > expect them to. Here are two of the examples I created:
> >
> >    bind -k kh focus top
> >    bind -k kH focus bottom
> >
> > My intention is to bind the Home key to change the focus to the
> top-most
> > region and the End key to the bottom-most region. This way I would
> just
> > have to type "C-a home" or "C-a end" to get to either extreme
> region. I
> > got the kh and kH values from the INPUT TRANSLATION section in the
> > manual(s).
>
> A better place is to look at terminfo(5). In there, you will find
> that '@7' is 'end key', which you want here, and 'kH' is 'lower left
> key', and I have no idea what key that is.

Ah, that is a good reference. I too see kH as "lower-left key (home
down)". The "1" key in the lower left of the number pad is also labeled
as "End" (for every PC keyboard that I've seen anyway). But when I go
back to using 'bind -k kH focus bottom', using the number pad "1" key
doesn't seem to do anything, whether the NumLock is on or not.

Curiously, there's also K4 described as "lower left of keypad" and with a
varible name of key_c1.

So, this leads me to wonder if the screen manuals should reflect @7
instead of kH for the End key.

--