screen-devel

[screen-devel] About remote commands with screen

From: Segovia, Benjamin
Subject: [screen-devel] About remote commands with screen
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 06:47:49 +0000

Hello,

I am a screen user and I use the remote commands (using –X …) in particular with vim (I select some code and send it to a screen session to remotely execute it). Since I needed vertical splits, I got 4.1 version and my screen+vim combination did not work anymore. I checked out the code to see the changes and I see that now, the commands are parsed in the server, therefore splitting the incoming string with spaces and so on. Therefore, this:

- X stuff “print “BOUM” ” will be now interpreted by:
 ---
à The command stuff with option print and value BOUM which is not the desired behaviour

In the current version, screen can now only execute really simple things like –X stuff ls

I rollbacked these changes locally (from version 4.0.2) to restore the previous behaviour. Don’t you think the previous behaviour was actually better?

Cheers,

Ben

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052