screen-devel

[screen-devel] Erroneous "no sockets found" error on Solaris SPARC

From: Ethan Mallove
Subject: [screen-devel] Erroneous "no sockets found" error on Solaris SPARC
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:47:58 -0500

Hello,

I am building the latest screen (git://git.savannah.gnu.org/screen.git) on
Solaris SPARC using GCC and Sun Studio. I have configure with CFLAGS="-D_XPG4_2
-D__EXTENSIONS__" to get past the below error:

  socket.c:978: error: 'struct msghdr' has no member named 'msg_controllen'
  socket.c:979: error: 'struct msghdr' has no member named 'msg_control'

This allows me to compile, but when I run Screen it doesn't seem to be able to
recognize existing Screen sessions in the Screen sockets directory. Apparently
my CFLAGS setting is doing Bad Things to Screen's sockets handling. E.g.,

  $ screen -ls
  No Sockets found in /tmp/uscreens/S-emallove.

  $ ls -1 /tmp/uscreens/S-emallove
  11700.foo
  16567.bar
  17681.baz

I did not run into these problems using 4.0.3:

  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.0.3.tar.gz

Is there a workaround to build the latest Screen on Solaris SPARC?

Thanks,
Ethan