screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Re: screen maintainer?

From: Jesús Guerrero
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Re: screen maintainer?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:13:20 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:06:24 -0700
Adam Lazur <address@hidden> wrote:

> Micah Cowan (address@hidden) said:
> > I also think it's worth starting discussions on consolidating the man
> > page and the texinfo manual, which are separately-maintained manuals on
> > GNU Screen, which translates to duplication of effort and opportunities
> > for conflicting documentation.
>
> I agree, 2 sets of documentation sucks.
>
> I remember looking at this a coupla years back for the debian package.
> There weren't any good solutions then (read: I was too lazy to write
> one, and nobody else had what I wanted). There are a few projects that
> maintain one or the other, and autogen the counterpart. I remember the
> generated one always getting the short end of the stick quality wise.

Sorry to break in the middle of the conversation, but maybe this is
interesting for you (if not, just ignore this post).

I know that fvwm uses and xml/xsl solution, which, from the same xml files
creates a man page, and a lot of html files, they both are equivalent, and
this way they save the pain to:

a. replicate work
b. maintaining both parts in sync

I haven't much idea on how it works, I have edited some of this xml files
to add some bits here and there for a couple of custom patches, but nothing
else. Anyway, I know that libxslt is involved and xsltproc is used to parse
all the stuff. I thought that maybe it's interesting for you, as said, if not,
just forget about the post.

Cheers ;)
--
Jesús Guerrero <address@hidden>