screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] [patch] Searching window titles

From: Felix Rosencrantz
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] [patch] Searching window titles
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:50:02 -0700

I like this patch, it seems like it will be useful.  Though it is
a little limited by only looking at the window title.  I think
there is a lot of other useful information (tty, host, hardstatus,
etc) that would be good to be able to search for in addition to
title.  The patch should provide a mechanism where the user can
supply a string that can contain string escapes.  The string would be
calculated once per window, like in windowlist.  The search could
go through the generated strings looking for a match.

It would be nice if you could specify a default string to use.  And
also one that you can have per the current command.

find -l "%t"
# Setting the default escape string
find default "%T"

So that you could bind different searches to different keys.

Also, it might be useful if the search could be used to restrict
windows that you could cycle through via a new pair of next/prev
commands.  The new commands would only switch between windows that
matched the search string.  I think that is more powerful than hiding
individual windows.

-FR.