savannah-users

DNS issue affecting gnu.org (and subdomains)

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: DNS issue affecting gnu.org (and subdomains)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 09:40:50 +0000

Hello all,

On a VPS in the UK:

 $ host gnu.org
 Host gnu.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Hmm... maybe it's just my VPS host provider's resolver.

 $ host gnu.org 8.8.8.8
 […]
 Host gnu.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Nope, Google's resolver can't resolve gnu.org either.

How about, making the same queries on a VPS in the US:

 $ host gnu.org
 gnu.org has address 209.51.188.116
 gnu.org has IPv6 address 2001:470:142:5::116
 Host gnu.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Hmm, that worked, just, but it was very slow (~ 8 secs).

 $ host gnu.org 8.8.8.8
 […]
 Host gnu.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Google's resolver fails again.

I fetch from git.sv.gnu.org every 30 minutes and the fetch beagn to
fail two days ago (on 23rd March) at around 10pm GMT.  It has been
failing much more often than not since then.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Sebastian