Re: [task #15914] Submission of Intlfonts

From: handa
Subject: Re: [task #15914] Submission of Intlfonts
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 23:39:25 +0900

Hi,

In article <20210316-155057.sv46355.64510@savannah.nongnu.org>, Ineiev
<INVALID.NOREPLY@gnu.org> writes:

> The format of the file in question does allow for comments, so it should
> include them.

Ok, I see.

> Anyway, the README file in Ethiopic/ doesn't really contain valid copyright
> and license notices <https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/ValidNotices/>,
> either.

Do you mean that copyright year is missing, or just stating "GNU
Copyleft" is not enough, or both?

The web sites that had been distributing the fonts are down now, and,
although I sent a mail to the font creator fisseha@cig.mot.com, I got no
reply at the moment.

> P.S. After a closer look, I realized that I can't tell the intended
> licensing conditions of those files based on the contents of the
> tarball: the README in the topmost directory only says that they are
> public domain or "freely usable", and Ethiopic/README says "GNU
> Copyleft" which is more than ambiguous; if they are copylefted with a
> GNU license, the (re-)distributor must provide the source file for
> ethio24f-uni.bdf, that is, ethio300-uni.bdf, but that file is absent
> from the tarball; in other words, the tarball may be technically
> unredistributable.

Ah, sorry for that.  It was a simple scripting mistake for making the
tarball.  "ethio300-uni.bdf" also has this statement:
  COPYRIGHT "GNU CopyLeft"
as attached.

---
K. Handa