[Savannah-register-public] [task #14571] Submission of Comparison Plotte

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14571] Submission of Comparison Plotter to visually evaluate ocean model simulations
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 05:11:23 -0400 (EDT)

I did receive your message, and my message got probably submitted two times by
accident.

I intend to work on this package and finish the submission next week.  There
are two types of issues I want to address then:

1. A little bit of refactoring and making faster of the code.  I also intend
to start a clean repository with a reduced number of scripts.  Over the last
two years I have developed and used ComPlot only for my own purposes, which
brings along a lot of silly commits, as well as a number of unnecessary
c2d_*.jnl front-end scripts that I may add over time such that they are usable
for more users.

2. On the copyright issues of the auxiliary data, I think I will be able to
manage this.  I have the following questions and issues:

- The "Download Agreement" of the GEOTRACES data (which is the dataset I
mostly rely on) <http://www.bodc.ac.uk/data/documents/nodb/325181/> states
that one "shall not distribute downloaded data to any third party", so we
cannot include it as a whole in the package.  Assuming that I do not get the
right permissions of the copyright holders, I believe that there are two ways
I can still use it; possibly this falls under "fair use".  One would be the
use of a limited number of data points which would be akin to a citation.  In
that case I should make clear not only the copyright but also that it is a
small exemplary sample of the dataset.  The other would be providing the plots
on the website and/or in the package (possibly linked from README.md) with a
much larger number of data points.  In principle one could get a part of the
dataset, to a smaller precision than the raw data, from reading the colour
values, comparing those with the colour key bar.  However, as I have published
those type of plots at big publishers before, without any request from
copyright holders of the original data, I do not think that this is a
problem.

- About the coordinate files, following basic copyright rules, you are
probably right that they are copyrighted.  However, it would be truly bizarre
if anyone makes an issue of treating them as if they are in the public domain.
 Or it may fall under fair use.  I cannot give any legal argumentation.  If
you really think there is an issue here, I could alter the coordinates: I only
need to define a path that approximates the cruise transect.