[Savannah-register-public] [task #14123] Submission of consoleSudoku

From: Hugh Mayfield
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14123] Submission of consoleSudoku
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:59:30 +0000 (UTC)

             Assigned to:                    None => hlam

Follow-up Comment #1:

Peter, thanks for submitting.  I have a feeling a lot of people are going to
love this program!

I haven't reviewed your tarball yet as I have a concern about the licensing of
the FreePascal program this depends on.  The FreePascal site states that it
uses a customized LGPL for its runtime, including the following exception:

"As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules, and
to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice,
provided that you also meet, for each linked independent module, the terms and
conditions of the license of that module. An independent module is a module
which is not derived from or based on this library. If you modify this
library, you may extend this exception to your version of the library, but you
not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception
statement from your version." [1]

I'm no expert on the LGPL; please could someone on the list comment:

- all versions of the LGPL I can find on the GNU site [2] allow verbatim
copying but prohibit modification; is this exception even permissible?
- I can't quite get my head around whether the exception applies to (for want
of a better way of putting it) library code or program code; if this allows
combining the library code with non-free code to make a modified library, it
would seem incompatible with the spirit of the LGPL (based on my limited
understanding)?

It doesn't seem all that easy to even see the text of the license that applies
to FreePascal, unless I'm missing something; I couldn't find it on the
website, and if it's in the "everything" tarball on the download page [3], I
can't see where.

[1] http://freepascal.org/faq.var#general-license
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#LGPL
[3] http://freepascal.org/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.var