[Savannah-register-public] [task #13499] Submission of Libreboot

From: Francis Rowe
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13499] Submission of Libreboot
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 20:02:39 +0000

hi Assaf,

Joshua Gay (address@hidden or address@hidden) of FSF certified the
libreboot sources, he can pretty much go through it all (I went
through these questions with him when getting RYF for the X200). I had
to certify libreboot with him through the same process that nongnu.org
and gnu.org use.

Coreboot uses GPLv2 overall (there are some BSD 3-clause parts and
some other copyleft or non-copyleft free software licenses), GRUB uses
GPLv3+, MemTest86+ is GPLv2, bucts is GPLv2, flashrom is GPLv2+.
^ These are including in libreboot_src/libreboot_bin/libreboot_util.
^ these are not included in libreboot git, but are downloaded using
scripts executed by a main script called "download", in the root of
the tree.

Coreboot does come with some proprietary blobs in a few areas (like
the Linux kernel does), but libreboot contains deblob scripts that get
rid of the blobs (this is actually the whole point of the project).

Aside from these dependencies, there are scripts are utilities
including in the libreboot git tree which are all GPLv3 for the most
part (there might be a few GPLv2 parts).
The documentation is CC BY-SA 4.0+.

The other dependencies for building libreboot from source can be
installed exclusively through apt-get in Trisquel GNU/Linux, and that
is already certified by the FSF to be a fully free distribution of
GNU/Linux.

(The above is why I specified libreboot as having "mixed" licensing,
because there's not really a specific license)

> It would also help if you could provide a archive containing only
> the actual code/files for the project itself, without any
> unmodified projects.

What does this mean?

You can find downloads at http://libreboot.org/download/ - these
contain tar archives, and also links to the git repositories.

Regards,
Francis Rowe.