[Savannah-register-public] [task #13293] Submission of RufasGate

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13293] Submission of RufasGate
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:31:17 +0000

             Assigned to:                    None => agn

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hello,

Thank you for submitting a project for hosting at GNU Savannah.

Here are few minor items that would need to changed in order to comply with
the GNU Savannah hosting requirements
( see
   https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php
   http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToGetYourProjectApprovedQuickly/ )

1. Copyright statement:
The following files are missing a copyright statement:
  cmp_static.sh
  data/starfield3.fs
  data/osky.vs
  data/nontex.fs
  data/sundown.vs
  data/text2d.fs
  data/volcano.vs
  data/skyX.vs
  data/islandobj.vs
  data/rock.vs
  data/text2d.vs
  data/texobj.fs
  data/poolobj.fs
  data/sundown_linear.fs
  data/darkwater.fs
  data/poolobj.vs
  data/clouds.fs
  data/starfield_good_orig.fs
  data/starfield.fs
  data/texobj.vs
  data/lvwater.fs
  data/starfieldOSX.fs
  data/starfield4.fs
  data/sundown.fs
  data/lvwater.vs
  data/islandobj.fs
  data/yislandobj.vs
  data/osky.fs
  data/nontex.vs
  data/windtexobj.vs
  data/skyBoxes/arrakisday/readme.html
  data/skyBoxes/arrakisday/arrakisday.shader
  data/sundown_linear.vs
  data/volcano.fs
  data/rocky.vs
  data/lava.vs
  data/darkwater_orig.fs
  bldOsx_normal.sh
  cmp_dynamic.sh
  cmpLibLocal.sh
  bldOsx_static.sh

2. License:
The following files are missing a license statement at the beginning of the
file.
See here for instructions on applying GPL license to your files:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
  texsurfobj.hpp
  shader.hpp
  lodepng.cpp
  text2d.cpp
  rockobj.hpp
  rufasgate.cc
  cyl2obj.hpp
  roomobj.hpp
  circsurfobj.hpp
  shader.cpp
  lodepng.h
  rectobjX.hpp
  cmp_static.sh
  poolobj.hpp
  usbox.hpp
  myst-utils.hpp
  circtexsurfobj.hpp
  data/starfield3.fs
  data/osky.vs
  data/nontex.fs
  data/sundown.vs
  data/text2d.fs
  data/volcano.vs
  data/skyX.vs
  data/islandobj.vs
  data/rock.vs
  data/darkwater2.fs
  data/text2d.vs
  data/texobj.fs
  data/poolobj.fs
  data/sundown_linear.fs
  data/darkwater.fs
  data/poolobj.vs
  data/clouds.fs
  data/darkwater3.fs
  data/starfield_good_orig.fs
  data/starfield.fs
  data/texobj.vs
  data/lvwater.fs
  data/starfieldOSX.fs
  data/starfield4.fs
  data/sundown.fs
  data/lvwater.vs
  data/islandobj.fs
  data/yislandobj.vs
  data/osky.fs
  data/nontex.vs
  data/windtexobj.vs
  data/skyBoxes/arrakisday/arrakisday.shader
  data/sundown_linear.vs
  data/volcano.fs
  data/lava.fs
  data/rocky.vs
  data/lava.vs
  data/darkwater_orig.fs
  bldOsx_normal.sh
  rg_data_vars.hpp
  cmp_dynamic.sh
  loadpng.cpp
  cubemapobj.hpp
  finesurfobj.hpp
  rectsurfobj.hpp
  rectobj.hpp
  text2d.hpp
  reflsurfobj.hpp
  myst_ftn.hpp
  loadpng.hpp
  rg_utils.hpp
  cmpLibLocal.sh
  bldOsx_static.sh

3. Misusing 'Linux' term
Few source files use the term "linux" when they actually mean "GNU/Linux
system".
See details here:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Linux
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

  rockobj.hpp:225:      // linux N=13;  osx-mini: N=3
  rufasgate.cc:280:     cout<<"max texture units = "<<mtu<<endl; // 4 linux, 1
minimac, 32767 macBookPro
  rufasgate.cc:303:     // nice for Linux;  too heavy for MacMini
  rufasgate.cc:320:     // Linux:
  cyl2obj.hpp:223:      // PS:  no problem in Linux.
  lodepng.h:1471:version 4.7.1 on Linux, 32-bit and 64-bit.
  lodepng.h:1622:*) 02 sep 2008: fixed bug where it could create empty tree
that linux apps could
  cmp_static.sh:3:# linux SDL2 build script using mostly static libraries
  poolobj.hpp:178:      // when N=9 rather than 10, a gap @ Zmax disappears on
Linux...
  circtexsurfobj.hpp:226:       // osx-mini:  N=13 = max;  linux: 29
  rg_data_vars.hpp:84:static rectobj barloc[mxBarrels]; //when declared as
non-static in main (Linux).
  cmp_dynamic.sh:3:# normal linux SDL2 build script,
  build.txt:3:Three [pre-compiled] binary executables are provided, two for
linux and one for OS-X.  The static executables are intended to have minimal
runtime requirements:  rufasgate_linux_static and rufasgate_osx.  The 3rd
binary, rufasgate_linux_dynamic, is ideally intended to run in the presence of
the directory "libLocal", which contains some dynamically loaded libraries
that need not be present on a target system:  GLEW, OpenAL, SDL2, SFML.
  build.txt:15:Linux:
  build.txt:17:cmp_static:  builds a portable executable that minimizes
required libraries on a target machine (dl,openal,sndfile).  I use this to
build the static [linux] executable that I deliver, named
rufasgate_linux_static.
  build.txt:21:cmpLibLocal:  utilizes the relocatable libraries that I deliver
in this bundle under   libLocal/.  I use this to build the dynamic [linux]
executable that I deliver, which should run in the presence of   libLocal,
whether or not your system has the libraries in it.  This was used to create
the executable named rufasgate_linux_dynamic.
  build.txt:41:1) linux:  cmp*.sh rufasgate
  build.txt:46:You'll need the "data" directory local to the executable.  It
contains shaders, sound and texture data.  And if you are trying to run my
dynamic linux executable, you will need the libLocal directory to be local
also.
  READMErg.txt:21:Uses fully modern OpenGL methods in C++ using shaders and
uniforms so as to achieve version 3.3 core profile contexts in a way that is
sufficiently mainstream that it easily compiles and runs on both Linux and Mac
OS-X systems.  This project serves as a testbed for learning the complexities
of modern OpenGL and GLSL so that transparency has, to a certain extent,
preempted elegance.
  READMErg.txt:58:Binary executables are available for OS-X and 64-bit Linux,
with relatively modest graphics requirements, by today's standards.  It does,
however, require OpenGL v. 3.3 or greater.  It runs on a 2009 Mac Mini, and a
MacBook as well as Linux.
  READMErg.txt:74:Three [pre-compiled] binary executables are provided, two
for linux and one for OS-X.  The static executables are intended to have
minimal runtime requirements:  rufasgate_linux_static and rufasgate_osx.  The
3rd binary, rufasgate_linux_dynamic, is ideally intended to run in the
presence of the directory "libLocal", which contains some dynamically loaded
libraries that need not be present on a target system:  GLEW, OpenAL, SDL2,
SFML.
  READMErg.txt:86:Linux:
  READMErg.txt:88:cmp_static:  builds a portable executable that minimizes
required libraries on a target machine (dl,openal,sndfile).  I use this to
build the static [linux] executable that I deliver, named
rufasgate_linux_static.
  READMErg.txt:92:cmpLibLocal:  utilizes the relocatable libraries that I
deliver in this bundle under   libLocal/.  I use this to build the dynamic
[linux] executable that I deliver, which should run in the presence of
libLocal, whether or not your system has the libraries in it.  This was used
to create the executable named rufasgate_linux_dynamic.
  READMErg.txt:112:1) linux:  cmp*.sh rufasgate
  READMErg.txt:117:You'll need the "data" directory local to the executable.
It contains shaders, sound and texture data.  And if you are trying to run the
dynamic linux executable, you will need the libLocal directory to be local
also.
  rg_utils.hpp:345:// frame rate:  nominal 0.02 sec, low=0.07 sec (linux)
  rg_utils.hpp:505:// frame rate:  nominal 0.02 sec, low=0.07 sec (linux)

Please consider changing the wording of these files.

4. Data files:
The project includes many binary data files in the 'data' directory.

The such files usually do not have a copyright statement or a license in
them.
Please mention these files in the README file with detailed copyright and
license information.

Specifically,
Regarding the sound file you've listed as obtained from "FreeSound.org", and
"http://www.freesfx.co.uk"; websites:
It is unclear to me whether these files are free to distribute ("Free" in the
sense of "Free Software").
The license file for the wav files ('freeSFXlicense.txt' which you've included
in the project) explicitly forbids giving these files to any other person.

I'm not a license expert, and so I can not give authoritative feedback on
these files.
If you choose to keep these files in your project, a thorough review will have
to be made, which might take some time.

Please, let us know when these are amended and we could continue with the
evaluation.

Regards,
 - Assaf