[Savannah-register-public] [task #12961] Commas in login page

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12961] Commas in login page
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 22:01:18 +0000

                Category:                    None => Approved Projects to be
Reviewed

Follow-up Comment #1:

First let me thank you for taking the time to look carefully at the site and
to make a suggestion for its improvement.  That is great!  So few people do
this.

This is the style question known as the Oxford Comma.  You appear to be aware
of this because you cited the wikipedia page on it.  But you failed to
acknowledge that the usage of it on the login page was also acceptable usage.

In school I was taught that the Oxford Comma was obsolete usage and it should
always be avoided in modern writing.   But in later years I have come to
prefer the comma regardless and have learned that it is now a debated item.
In the end in my opinion it really depends upon context and judgement.

Here I think it could be stated with the Oxford comma and be okay.  But it is
correct as it stands.  These two differing usages are both correct.  Frankly
either way would be acceptable to me.  I am going to refuse to get trapped
between the two camps on this one.

However you have misunderstood something and have placed extra commas that are
incorrect.  It is definitely incorrect to seperate "Emacs, w3," with a comma
since that is a single item.  You didn't separate the "Microsoft, Internet,
Explorer," with commas and Emacs w3 is just the same.  Therefore your patch
should not be included as it stands.

If you are unfamiliar let me point you to:
  http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/w3.html