[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #10924] Submission of IcedRobot

From: Mario Torre
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #10924] Submission of IcedRobot
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:32:35 +0100

Il giorno gio, 24/02/2011 alle 00.20 +0000, Karl Berry ha scritto:
> Follow-up Comment #5, task #10924 (project administration):
>
> Alex, just so you know ... the backstory here (as I understand it) is that the
> IcedRobot folks have been talking to rms.  rms fully supports the project but
> for technical reasons it cannot become an official GNU package.  (Lengthy
> discussion is ensuing, etc., etc.)
>
> So I suspect "presence within the FSF" / sv hosting is a suggestion from rms.
>
> Mario can inform us more :).

Hi guys!

Sorry to have generated panic :)

The proposal to be on savannah was mine not from RMS, but it came after
RMS has shown interest in our project, I came to the conclusion that
having a project page on savannah would be a nice thing to show our
relationship with the FSF, which is something we would really like to
have.

Karl is right in that RMS would like to have us in the GNU package (and
so do I), but, as sad as it is, we both think this will never happen...
and this mainly because of the patents threat and because our project
will use a hybrid mess of licenses (GPLv3/v2 plus Classpath exception,
Apache License etc...), this is something in the long run we may be able
to fix and the rule is that no files with two different licenses share
code, but there is no much we can do about this because, well, is based
on Android anyway...

I want to point out that although I consider us to be a GNU Classpath
spin off, we are so just because we are using the same infrastructure
and most of us are the same people :) and where applicable we will use
some code, but indeed we are a separate project.

The code repository will be hosted on icedtea.classpath.org together
with the mailing list (we already have this), but I was searching (and
this was my reference to the web space, sorry for not being clear) a
place for the wiki, to host releases, and to keep track of the
contributors.

I would also like to have (but I understand very well if this is
something you don't like) a place where to host a copy of the android
code we are developing. We apply patches to the main code but we don't
want to have a proper fork, so it's very handy to have always a very
stable code nobody else can change and that gets regular updates and
predictable (although we are using stable versions to base our work on,
so we don't expect too many changes).

Let me know if you want more information! From my side I would be
honoured to be hosted on savannah even if we will not use much of the
resources (but we could at some point indeed).

Cheers,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/