[Savannah-register-public] [task #10166] Submission of libchop

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10166] Submission of libchop
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:12:21 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10461> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10461>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *libchop*
* System Name:  *libchop*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later (My employer during my PhD
(2005-2007) was LAAS-CNRS [0].  Under French law, my employer is the copyright
holder of this work.  I have a signed agreement by the director of LAAS-CNRS
to publish it as free software under GPLv3+.

[0] See http://www.laas.fr/ and http://www.cnrs.fr/ .  LAAS is a research lab
of CNRS, the French National Research Center for Scientific Research.)

----

Libchop is a C library with Guile bindings that implements mechanisms
typically needed in distributed data storage applications.  Several algorithms
are implemented to:

  1. cut a file into pieces, store each of these blocks into a block store,
and then store sufficient information for later retrieval and rebuilding of
the indexed file;

  2. to restore (rebuild) a file based on an abstract index, reading blocks
from one (or several) block stores.

This is particularly suitable for content-based indexing (as used by many
peer-to-peer file sharing systems, as well as several revision control systems
such as Monotone and Git), and content-hash ciphering (as used by anonymous
file sharing systems such as GNUnet and FreeNet).

It is very modular and flexible in that it allows several storage techniques
to be combined (e.g., different way to encrypt data, to compress it, to "chop"
it, etc.), even from the command line clients, thanks to introspection.

It was implemented as part of my PhD thesis,
http://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00196822/en/ .

==== Other Software Required: ====
Requirements:

- GNU Gperf (GPLv3+), http://www.gnu.org/software/gperf/
- e2fsprogs' libcom_err (MIT) , http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/
- GNU libgcrypt (LGPLv2+), http://www.gnupg.org/download/
- GNU GDBM (GPLv2+), http://www.gnu.org/software/gdbm/

Optional dependencies:

- tdb (LGPLv3+), http://tdb.samba.org/
- SleepyCat/Oracle BDB (revised BSD),
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/index.html
- zlib (zlib icense), http://www.zlib.net/
- libbz2 (revised BSD), http://www.bzip.org/
- liblzo2 (GPLv2+), http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/
- GnuTLS (LGPLv2+), http://gnutls.org/
- Avahi (LGPLv2+), http://avahi.org/
- GNU Guile (LGPLv3+), http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/
- G-Wrap (LGPLv2+), http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/

==== Other Comments: ====
I've uploaded the Git repository at
http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/libchop.git (for "git clone", not for
browsing).  Until recent commits, files lacked a proper license header.
Nevertheless, I'd find it more convenient to publish the complete history as
is.  What do you think?

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/libchop-0.0.tar.gz