[Savannah-register-public] [task #8917] Submission of Freedoom

From: Mike Swanson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #8917] Submission of Freedoom
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:55:46 +0000

I contacted Simon about wadinfo-builder.pl, and he agreed to relicensing it
under the modified BSD license the rest of the project is in.  This is fixed
in my git repository.

PLAYPAL is the palette used by Doom engine games and is included in the WAD
files (http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/PLAYPAL); it is there to generate a palette
dynamically for Freedoom.  If the license is a problem, I could most likely
get the license changed, or rewrite code to generate the palette from scratch
if necessary.  However, only its output is genuinely used by Freedoom, and the
output is not covered by the GNU GPL; I believe there's an article on GNU.org
about that issue, but I cannot find it.

I noticed a dependency I had not noticed before.  It depends on ImageMagick
(or compatible), which is licensed under a custom license they proclaim is
GPL-compatible: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/license.php

Pbmplus has a custom license which DeuTex borrows from.  It seems to be
basically the X11 License without the warranty disclaimer:
http://www.acme.com/software/pbmplus/

The author of MAP31 is thanking a whole bunch of projects that are really
irrelevant to the building of the map itself (Duke3D, Build engine, GCC,
DJGPP, MS-DOS, (GNU/)Linux, Windows?  Why?).  These maps are likely to be
entirely replaced as things are currently being planned anyhow...