[Savannah-register-public] [task #8843] Submission of nCroK

From: Ben Nahill
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #8843] Submission of nCroK
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:14:07 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10068> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10068>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *nCroK*
* System Name:  *ncrok*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v2 or later

----

nCroK is meant to combine the minimalist console interface of ncurses with
many of the features of an excessively featured player like amarok. Linux is
overburdened with bloated music players and many of the light-weight ones are
only light because they lack features. High priority features include the
ability to search and sort efficiently in libraries assumed to be in excess of
30,000 tracks. This is where database driven players die in spectacular
flames. Other than sorting and searching, the 'playlist' is to be the entire
library, with the ability to go through the list and queue tracks (and stops,
like in amarok).

The project is being written in C++ with an ncurses interface, gstreamer
output, and taglib to read tag data.

==== Other Software Required: ====
GStreamer
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
LGPL

ncurses
http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/
MIT

taglib
http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html
LGPL

==== Other Comments: ====
This is a project for a music control class (I can get course credit for
this?!). As such, I may end up adding a network client to it (to further
satisfy the prof). I've wanted to write this app for a long time, due to my
dissatisfaction with the state of linux music players, and now I finally have
a deadline to reach RC state: Dec 2.

The machine that has the code as it stands is in the middle of some data
recovery and is off. It doesn't do much yet, just a playlist in a window that
plays a song when you hit enter over it. No menu's, minimal controls. I was
hoping to get to use git on savannah so I don't have to be manually copying my
latest release from desktop to laptop and vice versa depending on whether I'm
at home or school. The playlist storage scheme is also looking to change. I
just used std::vector temporarily to get the rest of the project going, so a
lot is still changing. I give you a really exciting tarball until I can use
that machine again (tomorrowish)

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://savannah.gnu.org/submissions_uploads/idonthaveatarball.tar.gz