[Savannah-register-public] [task #7253] Submission of A Porting tool for

From: Jari Aalto
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7253] Submission of A Porting tool for making Cygwin Net Releases
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:44:39 +0000

> This is a border case, but you're not on the good side IMHO.
>
> You ask the services of Savannah for a tool that essentially
> helps porting programs to a proprietary OS, which is already a
> questionable case.
>
> Furthermore, and as far as I can see, you do not plan to spend
> time making sure or learning how to make sure, first hand, that
> your program can be used under a free OS.
>
> So your project cannot be hosted on Savannah.

I'm not sure I understand, so could you be a little more
specific. I tried to answer to my best understanding the
requirements that was laid out as follows:

   "We don't host programs that run only[1] under MS Woe, even if
   that's on top of Cygwin. Please make sure, now[2] and in the
   future[3], that this can[4] be run with a 100%[4] free software
   environment[5]. Does your application work?"[6]

1. Confirmed. The application does not depend on Windows.
   (Cf: code review).
2. Confirmed by by the evidence of the work of others. (Cf.
   http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html)
3. Confirmed. If needed I can demonstrate the years long dedication.
4. Confirmed. The cross compiling environenment provides this.
   The instructions to setup one are at
   http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html
5. Confirmed. The application runs on any POSIX compliant system
6. Confirmed. It has been in use for years. (Cf. The ChangeLog in
   the application)

> If, someday, that situation improves, feel free to resubmit your
> project.

Could you be specific, which situation is referred here.

I was also perplexed about the sentence "you do not plan to spend
time making sure or learning how to make sure, first hand ...".

I hope you did not read from the text that there was plan to make
excuses and reject project by that. All was written to show what
it would involve to make a such an environment possible. Please
be specific what kind of the demonstration should be and how the
results shoudl be presented in satisfactory manner, so that the
possible preparations to make then can be started.

Sincerely,
Jari