[Savannah-register-public] [task #6988] Submission of PeaZip cross-platf

From: Giorgio Tani
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6988] Submission of PeaZip cross-platform portable archiver
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:30:07 +0000

> There's a problem with your submission: your application
> relies on proprietary software (abeilt royalty-free) for
> handling the .ace file format.
Hi, in upcoming 1.9.1 I'm going to move it to an external plugin in order to
let the base package containing no closed source software.

> I'd also like precisions about the RAR format, this is not
> described in the readme.txt file (there is a free extractor
> for version 2 and a non-free for version 3 if I recall
> correctly).
RAR is handled through a frontend for 7z and POSIX-7z binaries from 7-Zip
project (LGPL); for what I get from that project's documentation the RAR
plugin was rewritten from Igor Pavlov (author of that project) and was kept on
a standalone .dll/.so because also if it is now open source in the sense the
source is known, it still keep the original intellectual property exception
cast from the original RAR author: the decompressor code cannot be used to
reverse engineering the RAR formato to obtain a functional RAR compressor.

> Also, I don't know if that was mentioned, but we do not allow to host
> your project on Savannah and SourceForge at the same time, if Savannah is

> just a project mirror.
> Your project development should happen primarily on Savannah.
> How do you plan to use your Savannah account?
This can be a problem. I'm quite satisfied of the level of service and very
satisfied of functionalities offered on SourceForge and I was considering
opening a Savannah account primarily to provide an high quality mirror for the
content to make it available when SourceForge is down (it happened while I was
publishing 1.8 version) or slowed down (it still happens quite often).
If your policies doesn't allow that kind of use of Savannah account, I'm
sorry and I apologyze for the time it took examining my request.
Regards
 Giorgio Tani

  Messaggio inviato con/da Savannah