[Savannah-register-public] [task #7224] Submission of Image Tagger

From: Synx
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7224] Submission of Image Tagger
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 07:30:16 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=9462> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=9462>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *Image Tagger*
* System Name:  *imagetagger*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later

----

Tagger is currently in my code pile at:
http://synx.us.to/code/imageTagger/
It's currently functional, if a bit bare bones, with a few unpleasantries.

Tagger is a suite of programs for storing and arranging images, by giving
them arbitrary keyword tags. The main resident program (main.py) creates a
system tray icon, onto which you drag and drop images. (Try it from a picture
in Firefox.) A dialog pops up prompting you for tags, as well as listing some
tags you've selected recently and often. Once submitted, the image is
downloaded. Its origin URL, tags, content, and a thumbnail are saved to the
database.  Currently it's just a teeny little sqllite file, but could be
scaled easily since sqlalchemy supports many forms of SQL databases.

A second program displays and narrows down a selection of images by tag. The
remaining available tags are on the left, and the remaining available images
are on the right. Double clicking (activating) a tag will add it to the
selected tags list on top, and will narrow down both the list of available
tags and available images. Activating an image will bring up a dialog
displaying the image at its full size, with an option to export that image to
a file (for uploading, sharing etc), or modifying the tags of that file, or
deleting that image from the database.

I imagine a third program will edit, merge, delete, and rename the tags
themselves.

==== Other Software Required: ====
gtk, gdk, glib, gobject: http://gtk.org
python: http://python.org
sqlalchemy: http://sqlalchemy.org

==== Other Comments: ====
myImagetypes.py is a dirty, dirty hack. I'm sorry #python. Blame PIL.

Speaking of licensing, PIL is released under an MIT style license:
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/license.htm
gtk/gdk/glib is LGPL licensed:
http://www.gtk.org/
rdjpgcom/wrjpgcom is released under an MIT style license... I think. Nobody
has licensing issues with the IJG though.

I made my little system tray icon library using the code from GMPC, which is
released under the GPL.
http://svn.musicpd.org/viewsvn/gmpc/trunk/COPYING?rev=3956&view=markup

No, I am not fond of reinventing the wheel.

I plan to release this tagger software under the GPL.