[Savannah-register-public] [task #7043] Submission of Arcon Group!

From: Frouin Jean-Michel
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7043] Submission of Arcon Group!
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:01:18 +0000

As Beuc told me I will suggest an answer for this group.

I explain first why I write this answer, then displayed it.

I add the :

* sv-problem-distro :
because Cinay is an OS and I start the checkout at the beginning (of writting
this) and still not finish (I need to check my free space btw)
* sv-problem-sfnet :
because I read on your website that : "All development happens in the source
code versioned using the Subversion server hosted by SourceForge.NET"
(http://arcong.ath.cx/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31)
(As add in answer)
- sv-problem-gpl-two-only & sv-problem-gpl-info :
because most of source code file don't include "or later" clause (But in fact
many source code file haven't any licence)
sv-closing-reply:
to close :D

I didn't add (but like) :
sv-confusion-commercial-and-proprietary due to this : "While you might expect
an operating system with these features to sell for a high price, CinayOS is
available free of charge" in Registration details.

Answer here :

Hi,

I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah. While
doing so I have noticed a few problems which are described below.

As mentioned in the registration pages, we do not host complete distros,
distros isos, packages repositories, etc, for space and bandwidth reasons. We
may just offer support for organisational purpose and dedicated software (such
as iso creation scripts).
How do you plan to use the Savannah services?

If you plan to host such software:

Please include a (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to the source code.
Alternatively, you can forward the code to me by email or attach it to this
tracker.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to catch
potential legal issues early.For example, to release your program properly
under the GNU GPL you must include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy
statements at the beginning of every  copyrightable file, usually any file
more than 10 lines long.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html. Our review would help catch
potential omissions such as these.

Note that sending code to our repositories _is_ a release, since the code
will then be publicly available through anonymous access.

I read on your website that : "All development happens in the source code
versioned using the Subversion server hosted by SourceForge.NET"
(http://arcong.ath.cx/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31)

Savannah is a central point for development, distribution and maintenance of
GNU Software.

There is a companion site savannah.nongnu.org where we also host Free
Software projects that are not part of the GNU Project, but run on free
platforms.

However, we do not allow to host your project on Savannah and SourceForge at
the same time, if Savannah is just a project mirror. Your project development
should happen primarily on Savannah.

How do you plan to use your Savannah account?

Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.  Would you agree to
license your project under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?

The reason for this is that when we publish the next version of the GPL, it
will be important for all GPL-covered programs to advance to that new version.
If you don't put this in the files now, the only way to port your program to
the next version of the GPL would be to ask each and every copyright holder,
and that may be very difficult.

We can explain the issue in more detail if you wish. If you have concerns
about "GNU GPL v2 or later", we'd be happy to address them too.

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the GNU
GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every copyrightable file, usually any file more than 10 lines
long.In addition, if you haven't already, please include a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt,
into a file named "COPYING".

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

If some of your files cannot carry such notices (e.g. binary files), then you
can add a README file in the same directory containing the copyright and
license notices. Check
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html for further
information.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn why a
copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code, for example, see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide us
with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we will
reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.
To help us better keep track of your registration, please use the tracker's
web interface following the link below. Do not reply directly, the
registration process is not driven by e-mail, and we will not receive such